Seoul: Love at first sight


With the advent of budget airlines selling affordable flights to and fro Manila, my family and I took advantage of these Cebu Pacific promo seats to fly to the only (take note: ONLY) Asian country I've been dying to visit for the last five years.

It was about six months prior to our flight when I called my mom to ask her if they want to visit Seoul. She said, "can we go to Tokyo instead?" I already hesitated at first. And I didn't even think of budget and costs when I said no.

Four days seemed quite short of a stay when I can do tons of things in a new, exciting land. And so I tried making the most out of my trip. I became a tourist in the morning, a party-goer at night, and a "lover" in between. (I blurted out to my self: I definitely need some sexy time in this sexy land.)

(Only my sister knows them. But to me, everyone looked kinda the same, don't they? Only their hair colors varied.) 
(With British boy, Paul, who I met in a club and became friends with instantly that night.) 

(I know, I look oily in this photo. You can already fry in my Minola Oil-covered face.)

Covering half a dozen tourist destinations in Seoul proved to be an easy feat. You have to thank City Tour Buses for that. As we were staying in a seemingly more modern part of Seoul (near COEX), finding the start point of the City Tour Bus (Gwanghwamun Station), which is situated at the historical area of this city and where everyone gets picked up first, meant travelling more than an hour by train.

At roughly around ten in the morning, Seoul Subway trains are incredibly not that crowded. You can still sit down as people usually alight every after two stations. But nonetheless, what's more tiring and confusing is the fact that you have to change subway lines for more than 4x and take a gazillion steps (up and down) before you reach Gwanghwamun.

When we started our city tour trip, I got disappointed the most with the palaces. I was expecting more grand. I was expecting something overwhelming. The land area was huge with big facades. But the palaces itself were just mere box structures and were empty inside.



 

But it didn't stop me from taking photos. And pa-cute shots of myself too.





Food, I think, was affordable. Taxi cabs within the city are cheap. Clothes, on the other hand, were costly (at least for those fashionable items I wanted for myself).

But one of the key things I've learned about myself after the trip was: loving local Korean dishes is an acquired taste. Kimchi, for one, is something I was totally disgusted five years ago. (Given a choice, I would easily trade my sour-and-spicy Korean dishes for the tasty Jap food.) Now, it's totally different.

Bulgogis, bibimbaps and spicy kimchis --- my taste buds have already changed their minds; they are now delighted to devour you every now and then.


(I remember sweating more, while eating this plate of spicy Korean-styled macaroni pasta, than attending Muay Thai classes.)

I only had SG$1,000 budget (excluding airfare tickets and hotel stays) for the entire trip. I had to feed three other people (my dad, mom, and younger sis) with this budgetarian funds. 

(During Ma's birthday at Casa Antonio, Itaewon)

And so I prayed my money will multiply especially at times when I was spending a lot on fab meals. It was my mom's birthday weekend, so it was actually my treat to her and the entire family. As compared to our Hong Kong trip back in 2009, I said to myself that we won't end up eating in McDonalds again. I wanted something special. I wanted something muy delicioso. Instead of indulging on purely Korean meals, we tried mixing our lunches and dinners and suppers with some Western delights.

It was fun.

(My "Happy Birthday Mom" photo: Teach me how to fly 101)

A decade ago, old people teach their kids to save up, invest on assets, and become rich.




But the new-age thinking have changed. It's all about saving up in order for you to travel and discover the world; invest on fun memories with your loved ones while unearthing new finds in new places; and obtain rich, loving moments and experiences with the new people you've met along the way.

I fell in love with Seoul and its people. So I'll definitely come back for more. 

I'll see you again in May 2012 and I'll be bringing my Singaporean gang.

Signing off,
SuperPao

0 comments:

Post a Comment